Saturday, May 06, 2006

So what did you think about JC Superstar?

It was a sell-out crowd at the Chalberg theatre on Friday night for the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar. Director Patrick Spradlin graciously offered free tickets to the BHS drama club, and 26 of us attended, including my two kids.

It was an interesting production. They chose to present the show as a concert rather than a musical, but still managed to incorporate set, light, sound and costume design. Matt was a bit nostalgic, since the CLC students who designed and ran the tech were the last from his classes (they were freshman when he graduated). In a way, since Patrick may focus his theatre energies elsewhere next year and since the tech students are the last of their bunch, it was a show about closure...

I was just about to join our theatre freaks and for a post-show discussion at Applebees when I realized that Abe was bound to fall asleep in his Dreamsicle cake, if he could stay awake until it arrived. (After we left, he fell asleep before we hit Nisswa.)

I wish I could've stayed and heard what you thought -- I'll save my opionions until I hear from you -- what worked, what didn't? I've got some definite thoughts on the pit orchestra, Jesus, Judas, Mary Mag, and some of the design choices (I will admit when the ladies came out in feather boas, Matt wasn't the only one laughing!). I'll also come right out and say that I thought Patrick Spradlin's Pontious Pilate was distant, condescending, and spot on, and made me increasingly uncomfortable, especially during the counting segment. It's also important to keep in mind that this was a very amateur choir, band and crew -- most of you recognized Judas as a waiter from Perkins, for example.

Given the Brainerd Lakes areas strong church community, I'm also wondering what you thought about this show playing at a community college? Was this show choice for the church community's benefit, or to stir it up? (religious folks have both embraced and protested JC Superstar). Also, how do you see JC Superstar fitting in with the rest of Spradlin's season this year? Keep in mind that he started the year with Inherit the Wind...

Many of you said the show wasn't what you expected. So I'm curious: what did you think?

3 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Albie said...

so what specifically didn't you like?

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Mac said...

Overall, I enjoyed it. Though Judas may not have been as good as one might hope, the show was good. It entertained me, and I laughed quite a bit. Probably more than I should have.
I highly enjoyed the music director as Herod. That entertained me immensely.
The scene with the chorus members begging Jesus for things was perhaps my favorite. I liked the multiple things going on, and overall just the way it was done.
One small bit that I enjoyed was how Judas had on the same costume as Jesus, only in black. That was interesting.
I don't know, I enjoyed the show. It was definitely worth going to. It's too bad that you couldn't join us at Applebees. Understandable though, I don't doubt that your kids were tired.But we discussed the show, and a lot of random unrelated topics. A fun night at Applebees, as always.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger M.Cummings said...

It was deffinatly a concert. That fact didn't really excite me They did effectivly tell the scripted story, wich had to be a chellenge in an undramatic atmosphere, love and hate was effectivly expressed through subtle gestures. the tech was obviously challenging and the crew worked at the highest level of there training. Feather Boas aside, the chorus costumes were greate. The erst of the Costuming had 0 Continuity, a time period was not chosen for the design. The Chorus was in traditional garb while JC and Judas were in Matrix Jackets! Light was effective and theatrical But got distracting at times with the movments of the spots over the audience, its a norwegian audience, thier very introverted and not prone to breaking out in a godd ol Mosh pit.

I give it a B- Relying CHefly on the performance of Jesus and The technical team.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home